Sunday, May 31, 2015

Season-Ending Surgery

This is the last race I will run for a few months.  Here I am pacing a few RunningWorks athletes in the final event of the Run For Your Life Summer Track Series.


I write this blog on the eve of a season-ending in surgery on my right foot.  Dr. Robert Anderson of the Foot and Ankle Institute at OrthoCarolina in Charlotte, North Carolina, will be performing the surgery and I will be going in to have the procedure at 5:30am.  This season is unfortunately over for me, and I have a wide range of emotions going through my mind.  I am relieved to know exactly what this long term problem is in my foot.  I am anxious about the outcome of surgery and what my foot will be like after rehab is over. I am curious to know what caused my injury. I am worried about the timing.  I am frustrated about the fact that I had wonderful fall and winter training and that I will not be allowed to run for three months.  I have never not been able to run for a prolonged period of time.  I am sad that I will not be able to take care of myself fully for a while. I am fearful of all of the unknowns.
With all that being said and the normalcy involved with each of these thoughts with any type of surgery, I know that I am in the best hands possible for this procedure.  I know that I have wonderful people taking care of me every day. I know that my foot will be stronger than ever before.  I am excited to see how I will perform on two good feet. I am dreaming of looking back on this experience and reflecting upon how this not only made me a better runner but tested my spirit and well-being in an incredibly positive way.  I am grateful that this experience will help me be a better coach and will give me a clearer picture of how injury is a real part of sports, and that athletes of all levels and abilities experience it. I am thankful that I am still overall very healthy and that my future will be brighter because of this procedure. There are many ways to look at this surgery and how it will affect my life.
Perhaps the most important thing I am thankful for through these changes and challenges has been the opportunity that still surrounds me.  Life can pull us in so many directions and living out my passions as a runner, teacher and coach are a blessing.  It seems that no matter where I am living, I always have the chance to share life with others through running.  This season has been the first where my entire life has revolved around what I love the most: my training and working with young children through In the Arena. Unfortunately, this surgery will put on hold my direct involvement with the professional running world of training, traveling and racing as well as the Summer Track Program offered through Knoxville Youth Athletics (KYA), which starts this week. This KYA program happens to be the largest in their lineup offering opportunities for all athletes from those who want to try track for the first time to the competitive team who will train for the National AAU Championships.  Despite my absence from Knoxville and competitive running for the next few months, I still have an opportunity to stay connected with the running community here in Charlotte as I rehab through assisting with the RunningWorks program for abused, abandoned, neglected and homeless populations of all ages.
I will have to rest and stay off of my feet for the following two weeks.  However, I can become mobile again over the next four weeks on crutches and the ensuing four weeks after that in a walking boot before I can finally run again.  Working with RunningWorks throughout my time in here in Charlotte will give me the chance to make an impact, to still give back, to gain the motivation I need to stay positive and to feel part of a greater goal and a team that I desperately need around me to succeed. This past week was the start of a summer track series hosted by local running store Run For Your Life.  This informal track meet had events for all ages and abilities ranging from the 100m dash to the 3200m run.  I had the chance to coach several of our RunningWorks team in a 4x100m relay and paced a athletes through a couple of individual events.  The pictures below tell the story of the last track meet I will run at for a while…

Teaching 4x100 handoff exchanges at the first ever track meet for each of these guys.


Mal and Nate post 3200m run after several events.


Pacing Abu to a 5:44 mile in his first long distance track race trailed by Troy who ran 6:31.









3 comments:

  1. Prayers are sent your way, Matthew! I know only good will come out of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt our prayers are with you. KYA will miss you but wish you all the best and a speedy recovery. Please know that the KYA family is behind you 110 and if there is anything we can do to help let us know. Athletics often mirrors life as a progression of hurdles we must overcome. This is just one more to get over on the way to the finish line. We hope you will continue to work with kids wherever you are. You have a gift that extends beyond running that many of our kids have been fortunate enough to see. Stay strong

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello ,Thanks for share this post. I am medical student and for next month i am going to shift neurosurgery residency colony where i meet a experienced surgeon.

    ReplyDelete