Sunday, May 29, 2016

I Run Because It Is Who I Am


As National Running Day fast approaches this coming Wednesday, June 1st, it causes me to reflect on this past year and who I am as a runner. National Running Day falls on the first Wednesday of June each year, but this year is special because it marks exactly 365 days from the date of my foot surgery as well. Suffering my first serious injury has enabled me to grow a lot as a person—not just a runner. I always like to say that the “R” in running stands for “Relationships”, and having some downtime to reflect and invest in others has proven this beyond a shadow of a doubt for me. Running is not something I just do for myself. It is my life. Nearly having it taken away from me has made me love it even more. Giving the gift of running to others is one of the most rewarding things I have found in my life.

That being said, I am so excited about what we are doing with the RunningWorks team on Wednesday for National Running Day. In order to raise awareness for poverty in the Carolinas and beyond—as well as challenge the stigma associated with the homeless population, we are “setting up shop” on the busiest corner in uptown Charlotte, North Carolina (the corner of Trade and Tryon Streets) to run for 12 hours with our homeless groups, community partners and volunteers. At all times, someone will be running various one mile loops in matching RunningWorks shirts in a coordinated effort to draw attention to the misconceptions and realities involved with our heroic family. It has been amazing to see how much the community has rallied behind this effort and supported the idea we put together in a short amount of time. It has not been a competitive effort, but rather a collaborative one with all of the running stores, race companies and partners working together and becoming one.


Special Branded National Running Day Shirts for RunningWorks

 I would to challenge all of you to think about why it is you run. Use the hashtag #IRunBecause and #RWTeam for National Running Day, and be sure to follow our effort. If you live in the area, please feel free to come out and join us! We will be there from 6am-6pm before heading down to our regular Wednesday evening program at the NoDa Run Club, 2229 N. Davidson, for a family dinner. See the attached link to our website for more information.



Running has helped to open my eyes to the world in which I live, and challenged me to see the bigger picture of life. I hope that the things you are passionate about in life do the same for you. I am grateful for the opportunity everyday to “get” to do something I love with the people I love the most. We never “have” to do anything. It is a gift. Running works. Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment