Sunday, December 13, 2015

Finding Your Solace

My ultimate place of solace with In the Arena and Brooks Running

As 2015 is quickly coming to a close, I can honestly say that this will probably be my most memorable year. I, as I am sure many of you, hope that each year will be full of the best things life has to offer and that we will all become better versions of ourselves as we experience all that life brings over 365 days. I lived through some of the absolute best and worst moments of my life this year and am grateful for the times of learning and reflection that I hope to use to fuel me in 2016.

Below is a message that a loyal supporter sent to me a few weeks ago.  These heart-felt words describe how I want to feel and what my wish is for all of you in the upcoming New Year—a “meaning of life” statement that has changed my heart forever.

“Hi there Matt, I just finished reading your last blog entry. For some reason, earlier this morning I was thinking about you on my run. I want to share something with you (some things) that I don’t usually talk about. First of all, please don’t think that I am comparing myself to you, because I’m just a regular runner, not an elite athlete. But having followed your running career closely, and having read your interviews, and more recently your blog, I know you love running and that I can share with you. I have been running for 20 years, which is half my life, racing for the last 18. It is the single most important thing for me, I love it, I truly love my sport. Running gives me the best version of Anita. I am always a better person after I run. And yes, I am very competitive. I thrive on being able to stand on a starting line, even if I know I am not there to win the event. Running has helped me through several breakups, lost friendships, family quarrels, university, a master’s degree thesis, law school, bad days, awesome days, 20 Christmases, New Years and birthdays. But there was a hideous period of time when I couldn’t run. I got injured, and I did not want to stop running, it got progressively worse up to a point where I couldn’t run 5 minutes without pain. And I had knee surgery... then a second one, and a third. I had a string of doctors saying I should try swimming, because I would never run again. I remember a very famous coach here in Costa Rica (who wasn’t even my coach, just acquaintance) telling me that some people were not born to run. But I never gave up, because I knew that’s what I was born to do: run. It is that simple activity the one thing that makes everything all right. My coach never gave up on me either. We knew I’d be back. It was awful, it was heartbreaking, I was very angry at everything and everyone, especially at running. Then it happened. I started running again.... first walking 5 minutes and running 30 seconds... up to when I was running 10 minutes. Then 20. And so on. I learned to be grateful for running: 1 minute, 5 minutes, 20. I learned to be grateful for running at a 8 minutes per km pace, as much I was grateful for running at a 4:30/km pace. I was reminded of why I run. I got back to where I was, I became an even better runner. Most important, I became a better person. You will come back... a different Matthew I am sure, a better runner and I bet my life on this: you will be a better person. Running does that to us.”

Long time supporter—Ana Iris Paez


I want to thank my biggest supporters In the Arena and Brooks Running for allowing me to make connections like this one.  Running has allowed me to connect with so many people. I have always said that the “r” in running stands for relationships.  Almost 100% of the people I know and love so much today have been connected to me because of this sport. Running has changed my life, and I hope that you will invest yourself in something that changes you now and forevermore.  I want to thank all of you for sharing life with me through this blog this year.  I would not be where I am today without the encouragement and support I have received from the time and love you have given to me.  Onwards and Upwards to 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment