Sunday, September 6, 2015

The Next Chapter—Big 3-0

          
Celebrating life with my RunningWorks family at the Charlotte Knights baseball game
          Often I get so focused on the things I want to do and forget what I have done in the past. I have been a part of so many good things in my life. I have been blessed more than anyone deserves. I have had so much help from others and shared life with many people from different walks of life. With running, I am so focused on the little things I need to do to get better, but in the larger picture of life I tend to block out the little details and a sort of tunnel vision solidifies my train of thought.  I find myself not enjoying a moment because my mind is not fully committed to the task at hand. I often get frustrated when I reminisce with friends or loved ones and they bring up a story or talk about an event we attended and I can’t remember what we did or how I felt.  As they talk, the emotions gradually come back and I find myself in that moment of joy being described, and wish I could have been the one to initiate that conversation.  Life passes by so quickly and even the stressful and exhilarating moments get mashed into one black hole if we allow it.
            With all that said, I am turning 30-years-old on Tuesday.  I apologize if that first paragraph was a bit depressing, but as I try to think back on these last 30 years, I know so many positive things have happened in my life but I can’t recall all of them on command.  I have tried to write a blog previously and I have never been good at journaling, but I am so thankful for the opportunity I have with In the Arena to get my thoughts down on paper every fortnight.  The time I spend writing this blog is therapeutic—even though the hope is that others read it and feel free to express their own beliefs, that it is a catalyst for their own thoughts.  I used to really care about the statistics involved and if other people thought my writing was “good”, but now I am thankful that I have a real avenue to express how I feel. I don’t think I can put a price on how much personal growth and maturity I have been able to achieve from really sitting down and thinking about my life.  It is as simple as that—our lives matter and one way to really assess where we are, where we have been and where we want to go is to actually take the time to THINK!
Celebrating my birthday by going to the Chris Brown concert in Atlanta with Mer Dolhare


            So I guess I am officially a “real” adult now, even though most people say I don’t look like one.  I don’t have a job like a normal adult. I talk to my mother too much according to some, and others may say I haven’t had much life experience yet because I am still so young.  But my life is my life, and I am proud of what I have become, who I know and those that have sacrificed so much to love and mold me.  Trust me, 30 is not the new 20.  It is just 30.  I plan to grow more this year, love more this year and be better than I ever thought I could be.  Onwards and Upwards. Remember to celebrate life every single day.
Celebrating fellow RW staff Sophie's birthday this past Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment