Saturday, November 8, 2014

Too Blessed

            Life is full of risks and rewards.  In my life, I have been fortunate to be on the positive end of many rewards.  I have the best parents in the world, a job that proved to be more rewarding than I could have ever imagined and an opportunity to fulfill my dreams as an athlete are just a few rewards that make up just a small part of my life to this point.  However, it is the risks that I have taken in my life that have shaped me as a person the most and those risks have created some of the most significant rewards I have had the opportunity to experience thus far in my life.               
Although I use the word "risk," many people might say "Matt, what you are talking about! You haven’t taken any risks!" And many of these people may be right.  I am not a person who is fond of or one who pursues change in their life.  I am very content with the things I have in life and the path that life has taken me thus far, so when I deviate from this comfort zone and the "norm"--I personally consider it a risk.  For example, I recently moved from South Carolina where I have lived my entire life (29 years). I moved to Knoxville, Tennessee, where I know three people. I recently changed coaches. I recently resigned from my job as a teacher. And lastly, I am still striving to make the Olympic team at 29 when I haven't even participated in an Olympic Trials event to date.  When I look back on these changes I have made as of August 2014, they all have implications that will affect the rest of my life. And in essence, all these changes I made were all involving very positive pieces of my life.  I love South Carolina.  My entire family lives there.  I loved my job as a teacher where I had the best boss, co-workers and students any educator could hope for.  I had a coach who helped me run a 3:36 1500m and a 3:54 mile. And each of the first 5 years I experienced as a post collegiate athlete I got better--until 2014.  So what I am trying to say is that my life was great, but I am thankful that I am a person who strives for even more.  Not necessarily for myself, but because I feel that I have been blessed with a piece of my soul that wants more, and a part of myself always want others to want more as well.  
Very few people get the opportunities and resources to really have a chance to get the best of what life has to offer.  I had the greatest support system imaginable in Rock Hill, South Carolina, where I lived for 7 years.  It was my home, and I am lucky that I was able to develop relationships, have a career and find opportunity for a future in that town.  However, I knew that I needed to make some changes if I really wanted to reach my full potential as a runner.  I needed to be near a coach and I needed to get some rest! My life in Rock Hill was “on the go” all the time.  After two years of success, last year proved to be too much as my body finally told me "no" after all the turmoil I dragged it through over the previous two years of teaching and training.  My best friend in life, who happens to be one of my coaches, lives in Knoxville, TN.  He has been telling me for the 4 years we have been working together to believe and that He believes I can make the Olympic Team.  He has sacrificed so much for me and has truly taught me to believe in myself--one of the greatest gifts I have ever received outside of life from my parents and salvation from Jesus Christ.  So I decided to move to Knoxville to train with my strength coach, Gregory Adamson, who works with the football, women's soccer and women's rowing teams at the University of Tennessee.  Greg is that one friend that everyone wishes they had.  The person who has a plate that is overflowing with life's challenges but is always there for you no matter the cost.  Seeing him each week has provided continual confirmation that this decision to move to Tennessee was the right one.  Also having the support of Justin at Drayer Physical Therapy, Dr. McKinnon at McKinnon Chiropractic and Dr. Kevin Sprouse at Provision Health and Wellness gives me added confidence that I didn't know I could produce! 
And then a miracle happened.  In The Arena became a part of my life.  An organization actually exists that provides Olympic hopeful athletes with the opportunity to become involved with a youth organization in their town!  Are you kidding me??!!  This is the perfect fit for me to continue pursuing both of my major passions in life--teaching and running.  And I can't put into words how Knoxville Youth Athletics has blown my mind as they serve over 9,000 students ages 8-18 each year teaching, coaching and exposing young people to cross-country and indoor and outdoor track and field at the highest level any youth could experience in our country.
I cannot express how blessed I am and how I am thankful for the risks and rewards I have experienced in my life--especially of late!  I want to encourage you to live in a way that your passions are fulfilled and that others may be impacted in a great way because of your efforts!  Onward and Upward!  And Run Happy! And thank you In The Arena for allowing me to be a part of your team!

--Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment